St. Thomas is one of the Caribbean’s duty free ports for shopping and is especially favored by cruise ship visitors. Duty free shopping is not only available at the port but also throughout St. Thomas. Bargains can be found for many items but the most popular tend to be jewelry, perfume, cameras and watches just to name a few. Here is a helpful guide to shopping while you are on vacation in St. Thomas.
Havensight Mall is located at the port where the cruise ships come in and consists of a variety of stores, restaurants, and attractions. Diamonds International sells a wide variety of jewelry and watches with many different gemstones including diamonds, Larimar, pearls and much more. Look for gifts and souvenirs at Caribana. You will also find shops that sell perfume, liquor, apparel, electronics and more.
Store Hours (based on whether there are cruise ships in port):
- Monday to Sunday (including holidays) 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. when cruise ships in port (some may stay open as late as 6:30 p.m. when ships stay in port until late evening)
- Monday to Sunday (including holidays) 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (no ships in port)
Charlotte Amalie (Downtown)
Downtown Charlotte Amalie offers many shopping opportunities and you can enjoy the history of the town as well. As you stroll along Main Street and the waterfront, be sure to pop in to the shops and boutiques you find along the way. You will also want to venture down the alleys, including Royal Dane Mall, where you will find even more shopping opportunities. Stop for lunch or a drink at one of the local restaurants or bars for a nice break.
- Monday to Saturday (including holidays) 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday hours are typically 9:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m. (may stay open until 3:00 p.m. if several ships in port) and some stores may not open at all if there are no ships in port
- All stores close during the Children’s and Adult’s Carnival Parades (typically last Friday & Saturday of April of first Friday & Saturday of May)
Around Emancipation Park and Fort Christian in Charlotte Amalie you will find Vendor’s Plaza and a Co-op store. Vendor’s Plaza sells souvenirs, clothing, jewelry, food and more from booths, tables and tents. The Co-op is across the street and they sell locally made crafts and goodies.
Vendor’s Plaza Hours:
- Monday to Saturday, around 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays, a few vendors may set up depending on whether there are ships in port
Native Arts & Crafts Co-op
The Native Arts and Crafts Cooperative in the blue building across from Vendor’s Plaza and is next door to the Welcome Center. More than 150 local artisans feature their wares including hand-sewn dolls, jams & jellies, brooms, baskets, seasonings, wood carvings and much more. Call (340) 777-1153 for more information.
- Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday 9:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m.