You are spending your vacation on Hilton Head Island and enjoying the many attractions the area has to offer. Sometimes though you may find there are some very interesting attractions that are a little off the beaten path but are worth driving to see. You might want to plan a day trip to see one or more of these off the beaten path things to do near Hilton Head Island.
Off the Beaten Path Things to Do Near Hilton Head Island
1. Rich in history, culture, heritage and arts, Beaufort is the second oldest city in South Carolina. It is about an hour’s drive west, then north and is a part of the Sea Islands along the Atlantic coast. The area offers many attractions for visitors of all ages.
2. Hunting Island Lighthouse on St. Helena Island is the only lighthouse open to the public in South Carolina. Enjoy panoramic views from 132 feet above ground.
3. Explore exhibits and memorabilia representing African American culture and history at Penn Center. Located on St. Helena Island it is the former site of Penn School, one of the country’s first schools for freed slaves.
4. Artifacts, exhibits, images and more represent the legacy of the United States Marine Corps at the Parris Island Museum about an hour from Hilton Head Island.
5. Savannah, the oldest city in Georgia, is about an hours drive south of Hilton Head Island. It is home to one of the largest National Historic Landmark districts in the country. Although there are many attractions for you to enjoy, here are a few that make a day trip worthwhile.
6. Discover Savannah through one of several sightseeing tours offered by Old Savannah Tours.
7. The Georgia State Railroad Museum features historic railcars, a handcar you can try out and guided tours.
8.Experience daily cannon firings and interactive programs for kids and adults at Old Fort Jackson.
9. Just an hour and a half south of Hilton Head is Tybee Island Light Station, Georgia’s oldest and tallest lighthouse. Don’t miss the Tybee Island Museum just across the street.
10. Life of the 8th Air Force division stationed in England during World War II is represented at the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in Pooler, GA, about an hour from Hilton Head.