Maggie Valley is a quaint mountain town located in the Great Smoky Mountains, and offers travelers a peaceful vacation spot to relax, explore, shop and dine. This year-round vacation destination offers a wide variety of activities for guests of all ages.
What’s the weather like? Average temperatures in Spring are High: 66° and Low: 38° / Average temperatures in Summer are High: 80° and Low: 56° / Average temperatures in Fall are High: 67° and Low: 40° / Average temperatures in Winter are High: 48° and Low: 23°
Pack your bags: Keep cool in summer with tank tops, short sleeved shirts and shorts but bring a lightweight jacket just in case. Layers of clothing are best for the rest of the seasons. As temperatures fluctuate layers can be added or removed as needed. Be sure to bring the proper outerwear for skiing. Bring swimwear and beach towels year round.
Things to Do Around Maggie Valley, NC
1. Stroll through the Wheels Through Time Museum and enjoy their collection of rare American motorcycles, unique automobiles and memorabilia.
2. Challenge your friends to 18 holes of mini-golf or play in the game room at Fantasy Golf & Game Room.
3. Mine for gems or shop for crystals, fossils, jewelry and more at the Maggie Valley Rock Shop & Gem Mine.
4. Go dancing or just listen to the music as the band plays a variety of mountain and popular music at The Stompin’ Ground.
5. Outdoor enthusiasts may enjoy going whitewater rafting or taking a guided fishing or hiking trip with Maggie Valley Expeditions.
6.Take a horseback ride through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Cataloochee Guest Ranch.
7. Golf enthusiasts may want to schedule a tee time at the Maggie Valley Golf Club, conveniently located adjacent to the resort.
8. Work together to search for clues and solve a mystery in the Maggie Valley Puzzle Rooms.
9. Enjoy the beautiful views while zipping around in a Polaris Slingshot from Slinging in the Smokies.
10. Visit the Maggie Valley Opry to enjoy Bluegrass and Mountain Music. Be sure to check their schedule for specific dates.
11. All ages will want to take the plunge down Sliding Rock, a naturally occurring sixty-foot waterslide in Pisgah National Forest.
12. Take your family to Smoky Mountain Sk8way & Fun Zone for roller skating, an obstacle course, a climbing wall, arcade games and more.
13. Hiking is a great way to enjoy the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains. Find out more information about local trails at Maggie Valley Trails or other trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Hiking – The Great Smoky Mountains.
14. Astronomy buffs may want to check out the Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute in Brevard. Be sure to visit their site for more information.
15. Experienced climbers can test out their skills or beginners can take private coaching sessions at Brevard Rock Gym.
16. Visit the exhibits in the Museum of the Cherokee Indian to experience 13,000 years of their history and culture.
17. Take a ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad to see the North Carolina countryside. Visit their website to see what excursions are available.
18. Attend a dramatic performance of “Unto These Hills” and see the history of the Cherokee unfold under the stars.
19. Outdoor winter enthusiasts may enjoy skiing, snowboarding and tubing at Cataloochee Ski Area.
20. Experience the excitement of a live performance at the Flat Rock Playhouse with two locations, the Mainstage in Flat Rock and a smaller theatre in Hendersonville. Specific details of performances can be found on their website.
For information on where to stay and more things to do, including festivals and events in Maggie Valley, visit Peppertree Maggie Valley website.
Festivals & Events
- Biltmore Blooms
- Maggie Valley Spring Rally
- Annual Southeastern Mini Truckin’ Nationals
- Thunder in the Smokies Spring Motorcycle Rally
- Hillbilly JAM
- Maggie Valley Summer Rally
- WNC BBQ Festival, “Smokin’ in the Valley”
- Maggie Valley Summer Arts & Crafts Festival
- Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands–Asheville
- Appalachian Lifestyle Celebration–Waynesville
- Annual Brew BQ–Cherokee
- Annual PumpkinFest–Franklin
- Maggie Valley Fall Arts & Crafts Show
- Maggie Valley Labor Day Arts & Crafts Show
- Thunder in the Smokies Fall Motorcycle Rally
- Annual Fall Regional Shelby/Mustang & Ford Meet
- Annual Church Street Art & Craft Show–Waynesville
- Apple Harvest Festival–Waynesville
- 7 Clans Rodeo–Cherokee
- The Qualla Country Trout Tournament–Cherokee
- Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon and 5K–Cherokee
- Annual Cherokee Indian Fair–Cherokee
- KOA Fall Fishing Tournament–Cherokee
- Cruise the Smokies Fall Rod Run–Cherokee
- Brothers in the Wind Toy Run–Cherokee