Outdoor enthusiasts will find plenty of things to do around Sapphire year round. The Blue Ridge Mountains are the perfect backdrop for hiking, biking, golfing, fishing, skiing and more. Read on for more information about these and other attractions the area has to offer vacationers.
What’s the weather like? Average temperatures in Spring are High: 65° and Low: 41° / Average temperatures in Summer are High: 75° and Low: 59° / Average temperatures in Fall are High: 63° and Low: 43° / Average temperatures in Winter are High: 47° and Low: 26°
Pack your bags: Keep cool in summer with tank tops, short sleeved shirts and shorts but bring a lightweight jacket just in case. Layers of clothing are best for the rest of the seasons. As temperatures fluctuate layers can be added or removed as needed. Be sure to bring the proper outerwear for skiing. Bring swimwear and beach towels year round.
Things to Do Around Sapphire, NC
1. Footgolf, a combination of soccer and golf, is becoming an increasingly popular sport and can be played at Sapphire Valley Resort.
2. Visit the sovereign nation of Cherokee to explore the culture and history of the Cherokee Indians.
3. Hiking is a popular activity in this area of North Carolina. Find out the best places to hike at The Top Hiking Trails in The High South.
4. Snow enthusiasts will enjoy skiing, snowboarding and tubing at Sapphire Valley Resort.
5. Gorges State Park is a great place for anglers to try their luck in catching some fresh fish for dinner.
6. Water sports such as swimming, kayaking, canoeing, boating or fishing can be enjoyed at Fairfield Lake at Sapphire Valley Resort.
9. Take the kids to Brevard and visit O.P. Taylors, “The Coolest Toy Store On the Planet!”
11.Western North Carolina is known as the “Land of Waterfalls.” Find out more information about waterfalls in the area by visiting Waterfalls of the South and Waterfalls near Highlands & Cashiers, NC.
12. Drive to Asheville and experience the Biltmore Estate, George Vanderbilt’s 8,000-acre estate.
13. Fly high through the trees on The Vordach Zip Line at Sapphire Valley Resort.
14. Learn about the habitat and history of the area while riding horseback on a tour through the woods with Whitewater Equestrian Center.
16. If you are out for a drive and heading west be sure to stop in Franklin and visit the Franklin Gem & Mineral Museum, housing one of the largest collections in the Southeast.
17. Book an excursion on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in Bryson City, a little over an hour away.
18. Visit Gorges State Park where you can have a picnic, hike a trail or catch some fish all while enjoying beautiful scenic views.
19. Sample some local brews at Satulah Mountain Brewing Company in Highlands.
20. Find some new wines to add to your collection at Highland Wine Shoppe where they offer daily wine tastings that include 8 whites and 8 reds.
Festivals & Events
- The Rotary Spring Arts & Crafts Show-Cashiers
- Annual Tour de Cashiers Mountain Bicycle Ride
- Assault on the Carolinas Bike Race-Brevard
- White Squirrel Festival-Brevard
- Sapphire Valley Arts & Craft Shows
- Mountain Wildlife Days-Sapphire Valley
- Groovin’ on the Green-Cashiers
- Fireworks on the Green-Cashiers
- Brevard Music Center Summer Festival
- Fourth of July Celebration-Brevard
- Songcatchers Music Series-Brevard
- Highlands Motoring Festival
- Sapphire Valley Arts & Crafts Shows
- Cashiers NC Leaf Festival
- The Rotary Fall Arts & Crafts Show
- Village Square Art and Craft Show-Highlands
- Mountain Song Festival-Brevard
- The Couch Potato Mountain Bike Race-Brevard
GO Next: Sapphire, NC Travel Guide