In addition to winter activities such as skiing, Sugar Mountain and surrounding towns also offer plenty of other activities during spring, summer and fall, as well. Explore the beauty of the mountains through scenic drives, horseback rides or hikes, fish for that perfect catch or pick up a bottle of wine while touring local wineries – the possibilities are endless!
What’s the weather like? Average temperatures in Spring are High: 59° and Low: 36° / Average temperatures in Summer are High: 75° and Low: 55° / Average temperatures in Fall are High: 62° and Low: 39° / Average temperatures in Winter are High: 43° and Low: 21°
Pack your bags: Keep cool in summer with tank tops, short sleeved shirts and shorts but bring a lightweight jacket just in case. Layers of clothing are best for the rest of the seasons. As temperatures fluctuate layers can be added or removed as needed. Be sure to bring the proper outerwear for skiing. Bring swimwear and beach towels year round.
Things to Do Around Sugar Mountain, NC
1. Plan a whitewater rafting, rock climbing, rappelling, and/or kayaking expedition with Edge of the World. As an added bonus, you will be entertained during the bus ride to the rafting site and you will be served a home-cooked lunch.
2. Lounge on the beach, swim in the lake or fish off the dock at Wildcat Lake in nearby Banner Elk.
3. Get up close and personal with alpacas, goats, donkeys and other animals while touring Apple Hill Farm, a real, working farm.
4. Enjoy breathtaking views of nearby Grandfather Mountain from the Mile High Swinging Bridge, America’s highest suspension footbridge.
5. Search for precious and semi-precious gemstones, identify them and have them set in to jewelry at the Sugar Creek Gem Mine.
6. You kids will love the Tweetsie Railroad Park where they can experience train rides, amusement rides, a zoo and live performances.
7. Experience the wonder of nature underground as you stroll through Linville Caverns learning about stalactites, stalagmites and an underground stream.
8. Enjoy the fun of ziplining in the summer and tubing in the winter at nearby Hawksnest Snow Tubing & Zipline.
9. Be sure to make some time to go out to some wine tastings and beer samplings at local wineries and breweries in the area. For more information visit Banner Elk Winery, Grandfather Vineyard Winery, Linville Falls Winery, Flat Top Brewing Company, Beech Mountain Brewing Company, and Blind Squirrel Brewery.
10. Test your skills on the Sugar Mountain Golf Club’s 18-hole municipal course as you enjoy beautiful mountain views.
11. Winter outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy the skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, tubing and ice skating offered at Sugar Mountain Resort.
12. See the Blue Ridge Mountains on a guided trail ride. Banner Elk Stables will provide the right horse for your riding ability.
15. Hiking, biking and running are very popular in this area. Trails are available for everyone from novice to experienced levels at Banner Elk Greenway, Grandfather Mountain, Emerald Outback, and Rocky Knob
For more things to do visit – Attractions in Sugar Mountain and surrounding areas
Festivals & Events
- Art on the Greene
- Avery County Wine & Beer Festival–Linville Falls, NC
- Fourth of July Parade & Party in the Park
- Grandfather Mountain Highland Games–MacRae Meadows near Linville, NC
- Fine Arts & Master Crafts Festival
- Annual Singing on the Mountain–MacRae Meadows near Linville, NC
- Railroad Heritage Weekend–Tweetsie Railroad, Blowing Rock
- Autumn at Oz–Beech Mountain, NC
- Wooly Worm Festival
- Annual Grandfather Mountain Kidfest–Linville, NC
- Blowing Rock Music Festival–Blowing Rock, NC
- The Colors of Grandfather–Linville, NC
- Ghost Train Halloween Festival–Boone, NC
- Harvest Farm Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch–Valle Crucis, NC
- Boone Heritage Festival–Boone, NC
- Oktoberfest–Sugar Mountain
- Beary Scary Halloween–Linville, NC
- Christmas in the Park–Blowing Rock, NC