St. Thomas is a Caribbean Island that is a popular beach destination year round. Average highs run from the mid-80s to low 90s making this a haven for snowbirds during the winter months. Who doesn’t want to come back from a winter vacation with a tan after spending hours on the beach relaxing the time away? When you are ready for a break from the beach try one of the other nine things to do on St. Thomas listed below.
Things to Do in St. Thomas
1. St. Thomas boasts over forty beaches featuring sparkling blue water and swaying palm trees. Some beaches offer solitude, some offer watersports and snorkeling and some have amenities such as restaurants and chair rentals. Magen’s Bay, a public park, is St. Thomas’ most popular beach and requires an entry fee. It is a great place for families to enjoy the water. They also boast a concession stand, rentals for paddleboats, kayaks, beach chairs, floats, lifeguards and more. If you are looking for a great place for snorkeling, check out Coki Point. This beach offers a dive shop, eateries, beach waiters and much more. For relative solitude and relaxation try Dorothea Bay. For more information, visit the St. Thomas Beach Guide for descriptions, maps, photos and reviews of the twenty most popular beaches.
2. Experience St. Thomas through a variety of guided tours. Tour the island by taxi or bus with Air Force I Fun Tours, Islander Taxi Service, Flamon’s Taxi & Island Tours or Great Exploration Tours. Get a bird’s eye view with an aerial tour with Flying Fish Aviation. Experience local cuisine along with the history of St. Thomas during a St. Thomas Food Tour. Nature lovers will love to experience an eco-tour that include both land and water adventures. Book a tour with Virgin Islands EcoTours.
3. Experience the beauty of butterflies at the Butterfly Garden. Guides will entertain you with facts about butterflies during a 25-minute tour.
4. If you like adventure and live for a thrill, test your courage on a zip lining tour. Tree Limin’ Extreme offers “the ultimate zip trip” through the forest and over beaches offering spectacular views.
5. Coral World Ocean Park is a very popular stop for guests in St. Thomas. This 5-acre complex features aquariums, outdoor marine pools, nature trails, and observatory. Programs that include shark petting, feeding stingrays, Sea Lion swims and much more make this an experience to remember.
6. Enjoy the splendor and beauty of sculptures made from snow and ice at Magic Ice. Sculptures were designed by 16 famous sculptors from around the world and are displayed in this winter wonderland gallery.
7. If you are in the mood for a round of golf, check out Mahogany Run Golf Course. It was designed by George and Tom Fazio and attracts thousands of visitors each year. It is open year-round and provides views of mountains, valleys, lush greenery, crystal blue seas and neighboring islands. Its three-hole stretch, called Devil’s Triangle, makes this a very challenging course to the best of players. Don’t miss the chance to tee off on this Caribbean course.
8. Take a walking tour of the streets and alleys of downtown Charlotte Amalie, the capital city, to experience the history and culture of St. Thomas. Historic buildings and other areas of interest such a the 99 Steps, Blackbeard’s Castle, Emancipation Park and more will give you a glimpse into the past.
9. Snorkeling and scuba diving are popular attractions on St. Thomas. For a variety of opportunities for guided adventures visit St. Thomas Diving Club, St. Thomas Scuba Snorkel Adventures, or Coki Dive Center.
10. Shop ‘til you drop! St. Thomas is home to hundreds of duty free shops offering a wide variety of products including jewelry, art, clothing, watches and much more. Shops can be found in downtown Charlotte Amalie, Havensight Mall, Red Hook, Vendors Plaza, Royal Dane Mall, Tutu Park Mall, Yacht Haven Grande and more.
Festivals & Events
- Average High: 87°
- Average Low: 74°
- Annual Taste the Nations Virgin Islands Restaurant Festival
- St. Thomas International Regatta
- St. Thomas Carnival
- Arts Alive Annual Spring Arts & Crafts Festival
- Average High: 90°
- Average Low: 78°
- King of the Wing
- Jazz in the Park
- Annual Bastille Day Kingfish Tournament
- Virgin Islands Game Fishing Club Open Kids Tournament
- Virgin Islands Game Fishing Club’s July Open Billfish Tournament
- Annual Texas Society Chili Cook Off
- Annual Virgin Islands Billfish Tournament for Haiti
- U.S.V.I. Open/Atlantic Blue Marlin Tournament
- Average High: 89°
- Average Low: 77°
- Annual October Sunday Music Fest
- Annual VICL Fall Yacht Show
- Reef Fest
- Wahoo Windup
- Arts Alive Holiday Arts & Crafts Festival
- Average High: 85°
- Average Low: 72°
- Bordeaux Farms Rastafari Agricultural & Cultural Vegan Food Fair
- Water Island Music Festival
- Miracle on Main Street/Boat Parade
GO Next: St. Thomas Travel Guide »